The Week a Girl Named Sylvia* Ran Into God’s Love

A story from my first week of teaching Bible clubs at Operation Impact in the state of Oklahoma.

My fellow team leader said he wanted our team to have the goal of showing God’s love to those we came in contact with. “Cool”, I thought, “that will be good”; having no idea how much God would teach me through this.

We called our team “Lava Flow” because we wanted God’s love to flow through us like lava flows off a volcanic mountain top. It effects everything in its path and there is no way to stop it.

Our team of seven arrived at the park on our first day of teaching Bible Club. We were excited to tell kids about God. The playground was busy with youngsters. But as we passed out invitations, none of the parents were interested in bringing their kids over to the pavilion for club.

Then I spotted a girl who had just arrived at the park with her mom. She had a pink permission slip in her hand and was headed our way. Her name was Sylvia*.

Our team with Sylvia*

Club went quite well even though Sylvia was the only one who attended. The lesson was about the shepherd who had many sheep – 100 of them. One got lost but the shepherd was willing to give everything to find that one sheep. He loved his sheep so much.

I was grateful Sylvia had come, but one kid was not what I had in mind. Sylvia said she was saved and I was glad for that. But I had wanted lots of kids who didn’t know about Jesus to come to Bible club. God reminded me He does things much better then I could ever could – and I needed to trust Him in this.

I realized God loves Sylvia just like the shepherd loved the lost lamb in our Bible story and He brought her to our club so we could show her His love. It became a real joy to share with Sylvia as she came back to Bible Club almost every remaining day.

Throughout the whole week God graciously showed me through His Word and a number of godly friends that His love is so much more then mine could ever be. When I try to love in my own strength it will always fall short. But as I die to myself and live in Christ’s abundant life, God’s love will flow naturally in my life and to those around me.

“Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and everyone that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.  He that loveth not knoweth not God for God is love.” 1 John 4:7-8

God had a different purpose for Team Lava Flow then reaching lots kids that week. He wanted us all, myself included, to learn more about His great love!

*Sylvia is not her real name. 

Comments

  1. Beautifully put, Melodie!! His love is so far beyond our human understanding!
    Love you!
    LiliAnna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love why you named your team lava flow. Now God's "lava" will be spread out wherever we are after OI.

    ~Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mdlodie. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in Jesus. Your post indeed is awesome. I am blessed by your post. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 38 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor in the slums of Mumbai with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. we also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Little things matter