Little things matter

 It was December 29, 2018 – almost New Years.

Sometime between 6 and 7 am, I got a text from someone who wasn’t in my contacts. “Melodie, I found this number on the Whatcom Co Farm Bureau website. I'm looking for Melodie Kirk that my daughter, Rosella........, met at a Bright Lights conference and used to write to. Is that you?”
I immediately remembered who Rosella was and responded “Yes, you got the right person. I remember Rosella! How is she?”
The response I received stunned, amazed me, and quickly brought tears. “She is rejoicing and praising the Lord continually. It is hard to text it, but on her 20th birthday due to snowy road conditions, she lost control of her car, had an accident and was welcomed into the arms of Christ. In going through her things I found a lot of letters she saved from you and some she wrote you but never sent. You made a significant impact on her life. She served the Lord fully and impacted more lives than she ever knew. If you would like, I can mail you the letters. There was also a necklace with a note on it that said send to Melodie with your address that apparently, she never mailed…”
I was stunned with the news. Rosella had completed her life race and was with Jesus! But…who, me? I had a significant impact on her life? How? I had just been her small group leader at a Bright Lights conference in Ohio in 2011… I had just been a pen pal for a couple of years before it dropped off as we both grew older and busier. It seemed like I had done so little…but I got to see and learn that God works in amazing ways.
He loves to use small and seemingly insignificant things to make a big impact. You might never know the impact that one smile and kind word could have on someone. Whether it is a simple conversation or long-term mentorship, I encourage you to be attentive to the voice of God and invest in others.
Last month I received a package from Rosella’s mother. Included with the packet of letters we had written were two US quarters from the states that Rosella & I lived in. They were glued together with some chain and string forming a pendant. I now keep it on my keychain as a physical reminder to keep investing in people…leaving the results with God.
“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” – Matt 6:33



Comments

Popular posts from this blog